Used effectively, testimonials are an effective tool to encourage conversions from visitors to active members. When you offer visitors compelling stories and endorsements from active, engaged and enthusiastic community members, you create a welcoming and encouraging environment that will help you recruit new members.
As your community grows, you’ll likely receive unsolicited testimonials. Be sure to create a space for existing users to reach out and contact you with their thoughts and ideas. Be explicit about your openness to receiving feedback from your users by clearly stating that you welcome any and all feedback. Of course, not all the unsolicited communication that you receive from users will be of use to you, so be ready to sift through to find the good stuff.
Here are some things to look out for when choosing which testimonials to use:
- Statements that illustrate what the member gets out of the community
- Ways they have gotten involved in the community
- Statements about the resolution of uncertainty about joining
- Endorsements on the value of any paid perks your community offers
- Anything that sheds a favorable light on the community, your business practices or the quality of support offered
When choosing testimonials to display, remember that a good testimonial answers the “What’s in it for me?” question that potential members will be mulling over when they consider joining your community.
You may want to explicitly display the questions that your testimonials can answer – for example:
- Why join X community?
- What does membership offer?
- What do members like about paid feature X?
Testimonials are one of the most powerful ways to demonstrate the value a community offers a visitor. Together with the right advertising strategies and promotional incentives, testimonials can greatly increase your conversion rate and strengthen the positive feelings existing members have about their role in the community and the communities value in their lives.